Training and development are the main tools to support our mission: to guarantee that each person does their best.
In the Jerónimo Martins Group we consider that:
- Investing in the professional and personal development of
employees is a foundation to obtain a sustainable and
differentiating competitive advantage;
- Training is a priority and full-time investment, decisive for
pursuing the development policy and for the strategic challenges of
- Supporting employees, investing in their development, implies
understanding their needs and matching them to business
- Internal mobility and training are two tools that support this
Jerónimo Martins Training School
The Jerónimo Martins Training School (EFJM) was set up in 2005
in order to reach out to employees and ensure their on-going
learning. Every day, the EFJM works to prepare outstanding
The main objectives of the EFJM are:
- To promote the personal and professional development of
employees from the various companies of the Jerónimo Martins
- To standardise their training programmes;
- To encourage the sharing of experiences and to consolidate a
Most of our over 200 trainers are employees, who thus enhance
and perpetuate their internal know-how.
With several training centres, the EFJM offers various courses,
integrated training programmes and internships for learning
technical and management skills. The EFJM develops customised
training, in response to the needs of the business and of
The Group also set up the Fresh Produce school where employees
become specialists in the areas of Bakery & Pastries, Fish and
Meat Counters and Fruit & Vegetables, gaining skills and
enhancing their careers.
At the same time, we consider that the sharing of experiences
outside the Group and contact with other management realities are
critical factors for the development of our managers.
The Group promotes external training through:
- Participation in executive programmes, seminars, congresses and
- The setting-up of partnerships in a wide range of management
areas, collaborating with some of the more prestigious training
organisations in Portugal and abroad.